Thursday, August 14, 2008

                                         
                                                                              
We loaded the kids and the buckets in the back of the truck and headed up the mountains.  We were on a hunt for huckleberries.  (We found out that it was a terrible word for the rhyming game.)  Huckleberries are not easy to come by, and if it weren't for the darn Twilight books, I should have been scared of bears, but all I could think of were vampires.  Anyway, we picked a little, and ate a little, all in all I think next time I'll stick with the easier berries to find and pick. Laura and her mother-in-law have gardens with so many raspberries you can hardly pick fast enough.  I think I picked about 6 of these buckets full.  Laura made pies and jam, and I made about 10 large containers of freezer jam.  Some I mixed with those precious huckleberries and some with peaches, and had enough berries left over to freeze for winter and use on pancakes and smoothies. I missed my favorite - strawberries - next year, I guess.  I can't wait to get my own garden in someday. Nothing like eating those snap peas right off the vine.
posted by Amy at 4:02 PM |

1 Comments:

At September 25, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Blogger Jana said........
YUMMY! I'm hoping to find a nice farmers market this weekend so I can make a pie next week too. All your berries look awesome!